Ketogenic diet is one of the most popular diet when it comes to a healthier way of fat loss.
Let us first understand how fats are burned in the process of ketogenic diet AKA keto diet.
Since our brain requires energy 24×7 and carbohydrates are the main source of energy that we consume so first of all we restrict the intake of carbs in the diet. Then, we increase the intake of fats in the diet which does not result in the storage of fat but a more complex process starts to happen in the body. our liver starts to use the fat that is already stored and fat that we consume and convert these fats in what we call ‘ketones’.
Although researches prove that brain cannot use fats as a source of energy directly but, brain can use the ketones as an energy source. Now above we gave the example of brain but this phenomenon applies to the whole body. Thus, under this process our body starts to lose the fat percentage overall. Now the question arises about the muscle lose in this kind of diet. So, to reduce the impact of muscle lose we put adequate protein in keto diet.
Here we get the complete keto diet i.e. low carbs, high fats, and adequate amount of proteins.
To do a keto diet properly it very crucial to take care about the following things:
- Fats intake does not mean any kinds of fats, but only natural fats like butter, olive oil etc.
- Carb intake should be limited as much as only 5%-7% of the body energy requirements should come from carbohydrates.
- Sugar intake should be strictly restricted as sugars in a source of energy and thus it can lead to the interruption in the process of ketones production during the diet.
- Milk, energy drinks, and soft drinks should be avoided.
- For protein sources, eggs, meats, and nuts
- (without added sugar or salts)
Keto diet has been seen to gain popularity in the recent times. Ketogenic diet has been seen to improve the mental alertness and focus. Sometimes, ketogenic diet is criticised. This criticism is not because ketogenic diet doesn’t work but because people doing it doesn’t know how to do it properly.